Wednesday, October 03, 2007

The Hunting Saga Continues...

Up to this point, Matt has done the majority of his duck hunting out of a white rowboat. Not exactly a vessel that blends into its surroundings while hunting! For this reason, Matt has constantly been on the lookout for a deal on a duck blind for the rowboat and/or a flat bottom boat (preferably green or camo) to use for duck hunting. "Helping" Matt in the pursuit lately has been my brother-in-law, Scott, and after Monday's events I'm not sure whether to thank him or never speak to him again :)

Matt came home from work on Monday and casually mentioned that Scott had called him during the day about a boat he saw for sale online. Matt told me that it was a 14 foot, green, flat bottom boat - "perfect for duck hunting" according to Matt. Then he told me the price, which I'll admit sounded like quite a deal. I was quiet for a few minutes and then I think I surprised Matt quite a bit when I said it was okay with me if he looked into buying the boat. It wasn't but a minute later that Matt was on the phone to Scott and they were making plans to drive the 45 minutes or so to look at the boat. Of course, they had to leave immediately, since they found out that someone else was also interested in the boat, was coming to look at it that night as well, and lived in the same town where the boat was located! So that left Angie and I eating our respective dinners alone with our little boys before meeting up for an improptu play date.

While at Angie's house, I got the call from Matt, saying that he had bought the boat - not for the asking price, but for less - due to the fact that there are a couple of holes that will need welding! At that point I had no idea what to expect...

Here's what I found in my garage when the guys returned home:



I found out that the other party who wanted to look at the boat had already been there by the time Matt and Scott arrived, but they needed to go and "check on a few things". Hmmm...

Only 3 more sleeps and the nights are going to be busy ones as Matt works on getting his "new" vessel sea-worthy! Scott thinks that in its current condition it will float for about 10 minutes - good thing Matt just got those new waders!

Now comes the question of what to name the boat...

p.s. In case you are wondering - the waders in my previous post cost more that the boat!

4 comments:

Sonny Huisman said...

I think you should name it GREEN. It's simple, it's descriptive . . . AND people will be green with envy when they see it.

"There's a hole, there's a hole, there's a hole in the bottom of GREEN" to the tune of "There's a hole in the bottom of the Sea"

Janna said...

I agree with Sonny on the name, especially since she has a song to go with it. A very appropriate song. :)

Anonymous said...

Sonny's post made me think of a different song.


"There's a hole in my boat dear Olivia, dear Olivia, There's a hole in my boat dear Olivia, a hole:)"

From one hunting widow to another...
Jen

Sonny Huisman said...

Mike's suggestion for a name is the S.S. Minnow Remember Gilligan's Island? I believe it left them stranded on a desert island . . .