Monday, October 11, 2010

Carrying on Traditions

When I was growing up, my mom always made applesauce in the fall. About 5 years ago, I asked my mom to teach me how to make applesauce, so I could carry on the tradition with my own family. Last year was the first time I made a few batches entirely on my own (no help from mom) and I tried canning it - my first attempt at canning anything. It went well enough that this past weekend, my sister and I got 3 bushels of apples for making and canning applesauce. We started around 4 PM on Saturday and finished up around 11:30 PM. We ended up with 49 quarts of canned applesauce and roughly 10 quarts to freeze or eat fresh.

We had two very interested "helpers" this year!

Levi was very focused when he got his turn at the masher machine!

Even Reuben took a turn crankin' out some sauce!

No comments: